Monday, September 08, 2008

Spider-Man, Spider-Man does whatever a spider can

Fort hose that didnt know, Marvel Comics's Spider-Man is my all time favorite superhero. This weekend at Girl Scout Camp Shadow Rim Ranch, I got to pretend I was Spider-Man for a short time.

Whats the reason you might ask?

Debbie is the Girl Scout Leader for Sarah's Girl Scout Troop. Severl weeks ago Debbie was asked if she would be interested in becoming certified to oversee and instruct girls at Shadow Rim Ranch on their rock climibing wall. She said sure and then proceeded to ask me if Id be interested in signing up to be a volunteer, I said sure what the heck.

So this past Saturday morning we made the 2 hour trip up to Payson and the camp. The morning started off with severl hours of hands on training, over view of safety and climibng techniques. We were shown how to set up the equipment, get fitted with the helmet and harness and then actualy got to climb the wall several times. Then it was time to take a group of Girl Scouts and run them through the hour long session.

That was an experience, let me tell you. Going from never climing a rock wall just a few short hours ago to leading and instructing a bunch of girls was an eye opening experience. I think what stands out to me the most were these young girls getting over their fears, meeting or exceeding the self expectations and watching the girls help and encourage one another. What was really amazing was the comraderie that formed between two entirely different groups of girls.

After the session, we then had a debriefing to discuss what went on, what went right, what could be improved, etc. Then it was on to the exam. Kinda odd taking a test, I havent had to take a quiz or test since my days at Glendale Community 14 years ago.

Overall I had a good time. As past of the certification process, I have to go back up to the camp within the next month and lead another group ( or 6 ) of girls. Deb and I are looking at going up the last weekend of them month.


Heres a shot of me climbin' the wall for the first time



I cant wait

Thanks for reading!

No comments: