Thursday, September 25, 2008

Shiver

Our beloved Siberian Husky Shiver, who we adoted at the age of 2, had to be put to sleep tonight. We came home from Tyler's t-ball practice Wednesday night and I immediatley noticed SHiver was noticeably draggin her right rear foot. I no sooner noticed that, and the next thing I know she's crashing into furniture and the walls. Something was definatley wrong. Then she started falling over and when she was donw, couldnt get back up off the ground. She has had slightly similar episodes like this befroe but not quite this bad. We decided to see how she was today before we made a decision. Debbie got home before I did and saw no improvement with her. So she called Shiver's normal vet, they werent able to see her, Shiver's prior vet's office was closed. So once I got home I wound up taking her the Emergency Animal Clinic. There upon carrying her into the waiting room, she was taken back into the exam room. I was watching a bit of Survivor on the tv when I was brought into a separate exam room. Huh? Shortly thereafter Dr Landry came in an gave me the news. Shiver had developed neurological deficits and was having heart issues. There really werent many options. I was told there were no gaurantees and even if Shiver got over the neurological deficits, her suddenly developed heart condition could possibly be the death of her. After calling and talking to Debbie we decided to have Shiver euthanized.



I was with her when she was put to sleep. It was a very peaceful for her but still very very sad. Once again that overly sensitive side came out in me and I cried my eyes out. I know in my heart I made the right decision. Shiver was almost 13 years old, lived a full life and I didnt want to have her suffeirng and/or pass away at home. Been there done that with Nanook, our original husky.



When it rains it pours around this place. While I was at the animal hospital with SHiver, Debbie found one of our parakeets dead in the bottom of the birdcage. Pretty amazing how in the span of a few hours, we lost half of our family pets.



We havent discussed getting another dog. As little as we our home, it doesnt really seem fair to have a dog at this point. But then again Debbie and I have always had dogs in our life so who knows, maybe down the road, we might get another.

Here's a picture of our beloved Shiver from a couple of years ago



4 comments:

Mary said...

Frankie, I'm so sorry. She was beautiful.

You and yours are in my thoughts.

Stephen said...

So sorry to hear that. I am not looking foreword to the day we need to make that choice with our pup. Hopefully many years in the future.

Prayers for you and your family.

Kris said...

Frankie, you are not overly sensitive. A man who will not cry when euthanizing a dog he loved for years is not a man I would want to know. I have never had a dog, so I cannot truly understand what you are going through. But my heart aches for you and your family. She was a beautiful dog.

The Six of Us said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to here that! :(