Thursday, September 11, 2008

Patriot Day

Its hard to believe its been 7 years since the 9/11 attacks. Time flies wether you are having fun or not. Sarah was just 6 months old at the time of the attacks and she's now a month into 2nd grade. Wow!

While I dont recall any of the prior day's activities I do remember very clearly how I found out about the attacks.

My mother is a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines and was one at the time of the attacks. I was working 4 to midnight at the time and caring for Sarah during the day. Due to the time difference between the east coast and AZ the attacks were very early in the morning for us. The phone woke me up at around 630 that morning. My mother informed me that she was safe and on the ground. I said to her "that's nice, did you have to call me, wake me up, and tell me that?" She had never once called me in the prior 3 years to tell me she was on the ground. She asked me if I had any idea what had happened that morning. I told her no. that I was sleeping. It was then that she told me that we had been bombed. She was lucky, she was halfway between Oklahoma City and Phoenix when all aircraft were grounded. The FAA allowed her plane to continue on to Phoenix as there wasnt anywere nearby the plane couldve landed safely.

So I like so many millions of people jumped out of bed and stayed glued to the tv for minutes, hours, days it seemed like. I can remember looking at Sarah bouncing in her little bouncer oblivious to everything, tears welling up in my eyes wondering what kind of world I brought her into.

Obviously many things have changed since that Tuesday morning. Some good, some bad. It was so strange going to NYC after the attacks and not seeing the towers in the Manhattan skyline anymore. Im just thankful that there havent been anymore attacks on US soil and that we have the brave men and women of our armed forces protecting our way of life. God bless the soliders, law enforcement and firefighters!

Ok, the next entry will be more upbeat. Its not like im down in the dumps, just seemed like the thign to write about.

No comments: