Friday, September 05, 2008

A Camping We Will Go...

After getting an open inivitation from some friends of ours, we opted to go camping over the Labor Day Holiday weekend. We left town on Friday evening after some slight detours. We made the two hour drive up to Ashurst Lake just outside of Flagstaff, arriving around 1030 or so. After sitting by the fire for a couple of hours chatting with our friends ( they got up to camp earlier in the day ) we hit the sleeping backs.

Saturday morning we were up somewhat early ( or at least I was, Deb slept in ) We just kinda hung out most of the morning, ate breakfast and BSed some. The two dads and two boys decided it was time to do some fishing. We said we'd go for an hour or so just to check things out. This was Tylers first time ever fishing. He did ok but after about the first 45 minutes of fishing and not catching anything, he got discouraged, did some complaining and then proceeded to lean over on my shoulder and fall asleep. Not a very easy thing to try to hold up my son and try to fish. so we wound up laying him in the bottom of the boat. We not too long after Tyler fell aslpee, Jacob ( our firends son ) caught a trout. He suggestd to Jake that they put it on Tylers line and wake him up. Boy was Tyler ever surprised to wake up to a fish on his line. A little while later he caught his own fish. It turned out to be the biggest of the four we caught over the two days.

Here's Tyler with the catch of the day


By the time we got back to shore and back to camp it was too late for the girls to go fishing so we told them they could go Sunday. We finished off the evneing with chilli and hot dogs and Jake and I making a trip to the Wal Mart in Flagstaff.

Sunday morning I was woken up to the sound of the Polaris starting up and drving away. Apparently Jake and Jacob went off to try to get the morning bite. Nice of them to ask me if I wanted to go along. Jacob managed to catch two trout on that trip. Not too long after they got back it started to rain. It proceeded to rain off and on most of the day. The girls got jipped out of fishing once again. Dinner that night wasnt well attended as Jennifer had a migraine and Jacob passed out hard. We had some additions to camp that night. We had salamanders, a bunch of them. I wound up with one of the cold, slimy suckers in my sleeping bag when I got up to take a leak. Ewww.

Monday morning was packing up and heading home day. It took us the better part of three hours to pack up everyting and then we headed home. All in all it wasnt a bad trip. The kids enjoyed themselves. The only disappointment out of Sarah was not being able to go fishing. I told her in a month or so once the weather cooled off I would take her fishing.

Camping will be something we conitnue to do as a family. It was something both Debbie and I grew up doing ( moreso Debbie than me ) We both enjoyed camping as kids and want to share the enjoyment with our kids.

A shot of the lake and shoreline

The cloud covered San Francisco peaks and pines of Northern Arizona



Kris's blog reminded me of this pic I took Saturday afternoon as the storm rolled out of the area

Thanks for reading












1 comment:

Kris said...

I loved camping with my family as a kid. I need to do it more. That was so cool that the other boy let your son take the credit for the fish.