Thursday, January 29, 2009

Strength Training

Since the first of the year Ive been dabbling ever so slightly with strength training. Sure i've been going to the Y off and on for the last several years working out with the machines but I decided to move over to the free weights section of the gym. I found a website through one of the guys on Kick ( Scratch ) and have been reading up on a plan they have there. The plan consists of several compound exercises that work on several muscle groups at a time. Some of the exercises include squats, deadlifts, overhead presses and a few others. You are supposed to do 5 sets of 5 of each exercise 3 days a week. I think initialy I am either going to just do it 2 days a week or cut the amount of reps or sets down. As Matt ( Scratch ) said, at our age strength training is not something to take lightly and to go at it slow and easy. Good advice I think.
Im looking foward to this new challenge and hopng to see results by spring. Plus there are a couple of other things looming in the not too distant future that Id like to look a bit different for. My 20th high school reunion is next year. Not that I want to impress anybody ( as I was a bean pole back in the day ) but it would be nice to be more fit and trim. Plus my 40th birthday is just a couple of years away. I saw a pic of actor Hugh Jackman who recently turned 40. Now granted he is an actor and has to look good ( especialy for those times he playve Wolverine in the X-Men movies ) But I was thinking why with alot of working out in the gym and eatng right couldnt I have a similar build in the next 2 years?
Could I go from this...

To this in a little over 2 years?

I guess only time will tell. I get it that Hugh has a whole lot more free time on his hands than I do to workout and such but hey its worth a shot. Not that I expect to look exactly like his build but something close would be cool right?

3 comments:

Joe said...

Forget the muscles - try to get some claws implanted in your hands ;)

Good luck on the strength training@

Debbie said...

WOW,......I'm all for it! :)

Stephen said...

I'm trying to figure out if I should give you a hard time for oogling pictures of Hugh instead of a more transparent member of the Fantastic 4. [grin]

I've been hitting the weights at least once a week this year. It is feeling good.