Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Just Dont Get It

Yesterday on our board Trevor announced that he wouldnt be running the Boston Marathon in April. He qualified for Boston back in 07 when he ran the New Jersey Marathon. I understand that he's had some injury issues and as he said yesterday to me he isnt the same runner as he was back then and doesnt feel he deserves to run in Boston.

I beg to differ. The guy busted his ass, getting in all the required running and training. He lived and breathed running. He went out and had a great race and qualified. Ok so your not the same runner you were in 07 ( hell neither am I ) but you still earned that shot at Boston. Ive heard so many people on the board tell somebody who had qualified for Boston but isnt having a great year "just go run it as a long training run" or "just run it as a recon race and then go full tilt next year" Not that ive heard Trevor give that advice perse but others have. So why not do it? So you wont go out and PR ( not a whole lot of folks do in Boston as its a really challenging course ) just to say you qualfied for it and ran it is a huge accomplishment. Even if it doesnt turn out to be your best race

I guess I look at running differently than alot of the folks on my board. Its not life or death to me. If I dont PR at a race that I trained really well for, so be it. Yeah ill be a little discouraged but I know in my head theres another race down the road in which to PR at. As for winning, shit I know Ill never win a race nor do I have any ambition to do so. Yes we have some really fast folks on our board but the likelyhood of them winning Boston ( or any marathon ) are slim at best.

If it were me Id just say I earned this shot at Boston and Im running it. I worked too damn hard to blow it off. But thats just me. Trevor is apparently fine with his decision which is good cuz he has to live with it. I know he'll get back to form and BQ again. Its only a matter of time!

1 comment:

Stephen said...

WOW, I haven't been around KR enough to have heard that. Bottom line is that it is his call. I know when I BQ, I will want to go and give it my best shot. If I can't make it a good run, I will either defer or BQ again. But I will be going across the country likely with my whole family to celebrate with me, so that is a bit different.