Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Holiday Bowl

Recapping one of the last events I did in '08 here. Ive been a fan of the University of Oregon football team for many years now. Chris "Duckgeek" Butler from Kick took notice of the fact after seeing a pic of me running a marathon with a Ducks hat on. Chris is a staff member at Oreogn. When it was announced that the Ducks would be playing in the Holiday Bowl, Chirs contacted me and asked if I would be interested in attending the game as his guest. Damn straight I would! The game is played in San Diego which while drving 85 mph of the way, its only 5 hours away =) How could I pass this opportunity up. Free tix to the game, alumni association tailgate party and split the cost of a room 4 ways. Count me in.

Welcome to Californina



The game was on Tuesday night, December 30th. I dropped the kids off that morning at school/daycare and hightailed it to SD. I got over there around 1 pm so I had some time to kill prior to meeting Chris, Ben and Vicky at the hotel at 3. I had planned on touring the USS Midway but the traffic to get into it was way too long so I opted to hit the deli across the street from the Midway for a sammich. While relaxing at a table doing some people watching and enjoying the view of the basy, I had a nice lon conversation with a triathelete who happend to be finishing up a long bike ride and was haivng a snack at the table next to me.
The USS Midway


The people know a good thing

Entrance to Qualcomm Stadium






I then proceeded to head to the hotel and meet Chris for the first time. Like a lot of my "imaginary" friends while I "talk" to Chris most everyday, this was my first chance to meet him in person. After a quick round of intros and changing into an Oregon shirt and hat, we headed over to Qualcomm Stadium ( but not before harassing several OSU fnas ) We made our way to the tailgate party and met up with a lot of folks Chris, Ben and Vicky knew. After a so-so 6 dollar beer ( Pyramid Heffenweizen ) some pictures and small talk, we made our way into the stadium for the opening ceremomies.
Me and Chris at the tailgate party




JUst a few minutes after we got there, Marines and Navy sailors unfurled the largest American flag I had ever seen. The flag covered the football field from end zone to end zone and from sideline to sideline. This thing was huge. It definatley gave you the chills and a warm and fuzzy feeling about being an American all at the same time.
Our view



I told you that flag was huge ( come to find out the same flag was used here in Arizona for the Fiest Bowl just a few days later )

Kick off commenced soon after and the game was underway. The first half wasnt too good to teh Ducks. They just couldnt seem to contianin the Oklahoma State offense adn at the half it was 17-7 in favor of the OSU Cowboys. The halftime entertainment was both university bands playing Journey songs plus a awesome fireworks display. Well one of the songs that was played was Journey's Dont Stop Believin' I dont know if the Ducks heard it or what because when the 2nd half started they came out of the locker room a different team. The game was really exciting with some lead changes in the 2nd half and a lot of Oregon offense. In the end the Ducks won in convincing fashion. What a great game. The energy and emotion from the fans was just something I had never witnessed before. I cant imagine what the energy is like for the Civil War ( Oregon vs Oregon State ) the Territory Cup ( ASU vs UofA ) or a heated rivalry like Ohio State vs Michigan. Id love to find out someday.
This wasnt using a zoom, this is how close Chris and I were to the fireworks display while we were out on the concourse at half time. They were LOUD!



End of the game celebration of the players, coaches and the band




After the game the line for the trolley was just way backed up so we opted to walk back ( in the fog ) a mile or so back to the hotel room . It was good for me to stretch out as I was in the car over 5 hours and then sat at the game for 3 or so. We got back to the room and then Chirs and Vicky took a buddy of theirs to his hotel and Ben and I got some Wendys for a late dinner.


The next morning we hit Dennys for breakfast and then bid our farewells. Chris and company were headed back to Long Beach were they had flown into from Eugene and I had to hit my favorite beach in San Diego for a bit prior to heading home. We didnt make it over to Mission Beach asa family in the summer of 08. We had gone the two summers prior but never made it over to SD this past summer =(
A vacant Mission Beach


Gotta have the boBcam picture of myself at Mission Beach



As I expected there werent a whole lot of folks on the bach. Lot of runners, bikers and walkers on the path and a few surfers in full wetsuits catching some waves but thats about it. I waded ankel deep into the chilly Pacific Ocean, took some pics and then haeded for AZ. I had a Phoenix Coyotes hockey game with front row glass seats to make it to by 6 pm. Thats a story for another day.
Weclome back home

No comments: