Friday, January 16, 2009

A Running Goal

Now that sounds funny coming from somebody who hasnt ran more than across a parking lot or a baseball field in more than a year. Yes next month it will be a year since I ran any kid of distance run at all.

This weekend marks the third anniversary of me finishing my first ( and thus far ) only marathon. Hard to believe that its been 3 years already. Im planning on heading down to watch the race as two of my friends are running it.

What does this have to do with the title of the blog you say?

I have set two goals for myself and I must admit they are lofty for someone who a. isnt really goal orientated 2. hasnt run in a year III doesnt know if he can successfully return to running.

Goal #1 To run next years PF Changs Rock and Roll 1/2 marathon. Whats the signifigance? Ive never run a 1/2 marathon in my home state. Ive run 3 HMs, on in CA, OH, and PA but havent ran one here yet.

Goal #2 This one requires me to achieve goal number 1 and stay healthy afterwards. Run the 2011 PF Changs Rock and Roll Full marathon ( again ) It will be the 5th anniversary of me running my first marathon. I didnt run and finish my first on my terms. Sure I finished it, got the medal and the certificate but it didnt go like I wanted it to. I had a bad case of ITBS flare up on the run and it forced me to stop running after mile 15. Its was a long 11 miles hurting as bad as I did. I know injuires can pop up at anytime but I think if I have a proper base built up and train properly theres no reason why I cant run all 26.2 miles and finish upright and smiling.

So there it is, I put it out there. Now I need to get out and buy some new running shoes and then man the fuck up and start running again. Sure its scary and yes I can get hurt and it probably will hurt when I start back up but theres only one way to find out. Get out and put one foot in front of the other.

5 comments:

Kris said...

You have a year. That's all the time in the world to build up slowly and hopefully avoid injury. Good luck!!

Joe said...

Exactly what Kris said - you've got a year, and that's more than enough time. I wish you well, sir!

Elizabeth said...

Frankie - Glad to see you establishing some goals, and taking the beginning steps to get there! :)

Theia said...

You can do it!!

Stephen said...

One step at a time buddy! You can do it.