Thursday, October 02, 2008

Coach Frankie?

Before anybody from Kick gets any ideas, Im not taking Trevors place as a running coach. Tyler started t-ball last week. His coach, Brenda, is new to coaching. She let us parents know that we can have 4 coaches on the field during game play to help the kids. She asked if any of us parents would be interested in helping with the kids during practice and during games. Several of us volunteered.

Last night after about 10 minutes of the kids playing catch ( or attempting to, they are 4-6 year olds ) we broke up into 4 smaller groups and each group practiced some thing different for 5-10 minutes. Then we rotated the kids. I got to show the kids how to run the bases. Brenda wants the kids to learn to just touch the inside corner of the bases as they run and what the go ahead and stop signs are. Uh yeah. We practiced it, some kids got it, some kids not so much. I thought Tyler had alot of energy, a few of his teamates have him beat. After the little exercises we then had the kids take turns batting and fielding. Tylers favorite part is batting and he didnt quite get the fact that he had to take turns.

I think its kinda fun being an assistant coach. Debbie has mentioned to me several times in the past about volunteering to coach inline or ice hockey ( as I have so many years of playing it under my decreasing belt ) I havent gotten around to doing that yet but I am enjoying helping with Tylers t-ball thus far. Who knows, maybe in the next season or two Ill step up and be a head coach.

Tyler's first game is Saturday morning. Hopefully Ill have some pictures I can share of it.

Thanks for reading

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Very cool. I had a blast coaching my sons basketball for about a year. At the parent/coaches meeting no one there for our team had planned on coaching so I said: "My only coaching experience is watching my son's practices last season. I have never played anything more serious than a Saturday game with friends. The focus will be on having fun, good sportsmanship and if anyone happens to get better as basketball, that will just be a bonus." They loved it and we had a great time. One of the girls on my team came running up to me about 3 years after we had stopped playing and yelled "HI COACH!" I hope I made a positive impact on some of the kids.