Thursday, August 14, 2008

STIFF

By definition the word stiff ( or tight ) can mean several things

1. Difficult to bend; rigid.
2. Not moving or operating easily or freely; resistant: a stiff hinge.
3. Lacking ease or comfort of movement; not limber: a stiff neck.
4. Drawn tightly; taut.
5. Rigidly formal.
6. Lacking ease or grace.

After going to an ortho today for a follow up on my feet, I once again heard those two words out of a medical professional. My feet mechanicaly and structuraly are fine. I am having the on again off again pains in my feet due to either my calves/soleus or lower back being stiff or tight. My physical therapist early this year told me I would never be Gumby. That I would have to work at my flexibiltiy pretty much daily. There are some people that are naturaly flexible and Im not one of them. Just to prove the point to myself I attempted a 15 minute beginner Yoga workout dvd. Boy did that kick my ass. I definately need to keep working at that stuff.

Like I told Debbie after my Dr's appt, I guess I just have to take a part of my day and devote it to stretching and flexibilty exercises. Wether it be getting up earlier or like tonight do stuff after she and the kids go to bed. Especialy if I plan on returning to running, I need to more flexible and stronger in my core at the same time.

Ay yi yi!

Thanks for reading

No comments: