Friday, June 20, 2008

A New Hope

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...



Star Wars

Episode 4

A New Hope

It is a period of civil war.

Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base,

Have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire

Sorry I got a bit carried away going down memory lane there. Its kinda funny that after my visit with the ortho Dr. that the blog title "A New Hope" came to mind, along with the scroll from the beginning of Star Wars.

The reason A New Hope was chosen is that's what I was given today.

Almost a year ago I was given a diagnosis of degenerative arthritis in my right hip after having some groin, hip and lower back pain after my PR ( personal record fort hose who dont know ) in the Half Marathon distance in Cinncinati last year. I initialy went to my primary Dr who put me on a 'script of prednisone. After the scrip ran out I was still in some discomfort. Given the name of sports med Dr by my podiatrist I went and saw the Dr. He did an exam and then proceeded to send me for x-rays. A week or so later I went for a followup and was given the diagnosis. I found it odd that I had no prior symptoms and found it odd that at 35 I had arthritis. The Dr did tell me I could continue to run but at a reduced rate and wanted me to do more cross training. You mean thats it? I was a bit dumbfounded by this and at the same time refused to accept the diagnosis. Following the advice of my fellow 30s, I decided to go for a second opinion. It just took me 11 months. I kinda dragged my feet, was scared and was going through a lot of other things so it kinda got put on the back burner. I finally went for the second opinion today.

Before I saw the Dr I had two xrays taken. I had brought last years xray with me just in case. The xray tech made a comment to me as she was making sure the film was ok that my left hip looked rough. Gee thanks alot lady. I am a worrier by nature and now I have it in my head that both of my hips are screwed up. I went back to the exam room and not so patiently waited for the Dr. I had to get up off the table cuz I was starting to hurt. The Dr mustve looked at my current xrays before he came in and saw me. He came into the room and asked me why I was there. Uh, well my hip is hurting off and on and im really looking for a second opinion on a diagonosis I was given. "What was the diagnosis?" he asked. Degenerative arthritis I replied. "Where?" he asked. "I was given the diagnosis by Dr Sellers last year". "No were is the arthritis?" "In my right hip" was my reply. "You dont have arthritis in either hip" Dr Duhon said to me. He agreed with the assesment that I have narrow spacing of the joint but there is no signs of degeneration. Woo Hoo I thought!

We talked a little more and then he told me he didnt want me to return to jogging as he referred to it. He said theres plenty of other activities I could do. He didnt flat out tell me no but he'd rather I do something else. Kinda funny how the Dr who told me I had arthritis said I could continue running but yet the Dr who said I dont have arthritis doesnt want me to run Hmmm.

I had taken time off at the first of the year from running to get my lower back healed up and hadnt planned on starting running again until after the summer was over anyways. Ive had some other setbacks with the protruding disc and my knee issue so it probably wont be until after the first of the year anyways at this point.

But the dream is still alive to complete more half marathons. My biggest goal is to complete one here in Arizona as I have yet to run one in my home state. I told Debbie tonight that I want to run PF Changs Rock and Roll Half Marathon with her in 2010. That gives us both a year and half to get up to speed.

The other dream to run with my friends from the 30s is still alive too. Not quite sure how that will pan out but Ill figure it out. I will say that one particular 30 was the first to come to mind today. Her and I have similar PRs in the 5k and HM. ( Or at least we did, not quite sure at this point, she mightve got a bit quicker ) Maybe once I get back up and going I can convince her to slow down a bit and hang with me at a race =)

Thats about it, thanks for reading

Oh, and May the Force be with you!

3 comments:

sneakersister said...

Hey Frankie, great news on your diagnosis. That must make you feel so much better. It sounds like you've decided to forgo doc #2's advice not to run. I hope to see you at a 30's meetup again. :)

Frankie said...

Thanks Jill. Like I said itll be quite some time before I attempt to run again, it all depends on how everything else feels. As for seeing you at another meetup, that would be cool. My wife mentioned over the weekend about possibly going to NY/NJ for a family vacation next year. Might have to arrange a non running 30s get together fort hose in the area =)

Joe said...

Frankie, I'm really glad you got a second diagnosis and from someone who seems to know their stuff.

And like Jill said, I hope to see you at a 30s meetup soon. And don't worry about the non-running status for now; being on the sidelines at these gatherings is a pretty dang fun thing in its own right :)