Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Cancer sucks

Well here it is, the newest installment of my blog. This week it isnt about weight loss/gains, eating right or any of that nature. Its about my grandfather and his recent diagnosis of stage 4 lung cancer.

Cancer isnt new to grandpa, as he has battled prostate cancer previously. After battling prostate cancer we all thought cancer was behind us. Well obviously his body had other ideas. He recently had a fall and hurt his ribs in the process. He kept complaining about how his ribs hurt so he went to his Dr and had x-rays taken. Well there wasnt anything broken but they did see a spot on his ribcage and his lung.

A cat scan was scheduled. Well just a few days prior to his scheduled cat scan, he started having chest pains and shortness of breath. This was on Sunday Dec 16th. He finally went to the hospital on Tuesday ( my birthday naturaly ) They kept him over night for observation and then the next day he had his scan done.

Fast foward to the week of January 7th. He went for his results from his cat scan. As it turns out the spot on his lung is cancer along with the spot on his rib. Surgery isnt an option. Grandpa said no to Chemo. He has elected to do radiation. He goes to the chest Dr and the radiologist with my mom today. I guess they will schedule the start of his treatment.

Im nervous, worried and scared. Im trying to think positive. The thought keeps entering my head that I am going to lose my grandpa. Im very fortunate that at 36 years of age I still have him in my life. Eventualy he will leave us for a better place. Im just not sure Im ready for him to go.

I really feel fortuntate that I have some family and friends that are strong and are there for me. I cant thank those people enough

1 comment:

Kris said...

(((Frankie))) I hope the radiation treatment helps. Cancer sucks. I lost a grandmother and an uncle to it. I worry about my grandfather too, who is of sound mind but increasingly frail body. He's my last remaining grandparent.