Saturday, January 19, 2008

A beginning to an end

Well my grandfather went for his first radiation treatment yesterday. Apparently it went as well as it should. My grandfather had some quesitons for the radiologist. My grandfather's biggest concerns are will he bed ridden in the end and will be in pain. The radiologist told my grandpa that if he could answet the questions with 100% accuracy, he'd be a millionaire. He did explain to grandpa that so long as the cancer doenst spread into his spine, he shouldnt be in much pain. Being that the cancer is in his lung, he will probably see more breathing issues more than anything.

My mom ( who was with grandpa at the appt ) said my grandpa started to cry after he was dont talking to the radiologist. The realization that this is just going to prolong his life and that he will succumb to this terrible disease hit him hard. It was all I could do at the dinner table to avoid starting to cry as my mom told me this.

This is alot different than when my maternal grandmother died when i was a kid. It was sudden and unexpected. With grandpa, its just a waiting game. You know its going to happen, its just when and will it be peaceful.

JUst because you know something like this is coming, it doesnt make it any easier. Ill probalby be an emotional mess when he does leave.

No comments: