Monday, April 07, 2008

The first quarter in review

Wow its hard to believe its been almost a month since my last entry and that the first quarter of 08 is in the books.

What can I say about the first quarter? It definately had its ups and downs.

I set out after the first of the year to try to accomplish some things. The first was to get on a weight loss program to get me down the 25 pounds I want to lose. Second was to be more consistent on getting to the guy at least 3 days a week. Another gola was to try to stop drinking as much soda.

Well like all good intentions, things went well in January. I was hitting the gym 3 days a week. I was doing a better job of watching and journaling what I was eating. All in all I was feeling pretty good in January.

February came and it wasnt much fun. My grandpa's health took a turn for the worse and he spent most of the month in a hospital and eventualy hospice. I started physical therapy for my back. That went pretty well ( but I need to get back to being diligent about my stretches and exercises as im feeling it now ) and I was still going to the Y on a regular basis. A few of the brighter moments were going to Flagstaff again to play in the snow with the kids, beginning a friendship with Tiffanie and seeing my cousin Lynn ( although I was seeing her for the wrong reasons, she being my granpa's neice came out to see him one more time )

March sucked! My grandpa passed away on March 2nd. It was the hardest death Ive had to deal with. I was fortunate enough to have him in my life for 36 years. Death is inevitable but I wasnt ready to let him go. My trips to the Y dwindled after grandpa passed and my food choices and habits werent good at all. I gained 4 lbs during the month. I guess with all that was going on in my life it shouldnt have come unexpected. Plus I havent felt well physicaly during this time. Various aches and pains havent helped at all. Gee I thought by taking a break from running I would feel better. I feel worse now than at any time prior to me stopping running. Some highlights of the month were Sarah and Tyler turning 7 and 4, the kids taking on new sports ( sarah soccer and tyler t-ball ) and me quitting Coke and Pepsi.

As they say things can always be worse, this I know. Heres hoping the second quarter of the year is much better than the first. I am in a new office much closer to home, Ive dropped 6 lbs since quitting drinking Coke and my eating choices have improved. Its gotta get better from here. Thanks for reading!

No comments: